From:
Phillip Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2017 12:50:47 -0600
Owen,

16d Box vs Common....after >45 years of pounding nails into wood I never
realized the difference.  I just went down to the shop and clear as a bell
in English & Spanish the box of nails says 16d "Box" nails.  Thanks very
much for the heads up.  For clavichord #2 I will read the writing on the
box of nails I buy next time with care!

As far as my comment about old time tuning pins from out "out-of-round"
hand drawn steel, that was my unclear sarcasm, sorry.  I have been a
hand-tool wood worker for long enough to know that some wonderful and
beautiful things were made without 1/1000th of an inch measurements ever
being taken.  Most things are built to fit not to an exact known number.  I
almost always cut a board a hair longer than then trim it back to fit using
my shooting board.  So whether it is 8.500" or 8.5002...who ever knows.
Nothing is ever exact.  Please don't think I was berating things of
yesterday.  I was actually mocking the relatively modern idea of numerical
measurement perfection.  Beauty is sometimes in the uniqueness of
imperfection!

regards,
Phil