Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:26:57 -0700
Here's another entry to my tuning stability database.

Although I've been back here about six weeks, I haven't actually "been" here
but a week, what with sorting things out after the move, going back to
deliver a car to my grandson, medical stuff, etc., etc.

So I just finished tuning the ZHI Flemish, and there were about two notes
flat to each one sharp, the average detuning being of the order of fifty
cents or so.  There were even a few which were very close to "right on."
Which throws all my theories about consistent shifts into a cocked hat.  The
instrument had been bounced around for 2000 miles in the back of a van and
subjected to some fairly serious temp and RH swings.  One interesting thing,
however, is that about half of the "flats" seemed to be associated with
tuning pins that had worked loose, and which would not hold tune until I
pounded them in a little. If you discount those, there would seem to be
something resembling a normal distribution, about as many sharp as flat.

Does this sound within the range of what others experience in similar
circumstances?

jbunch