From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:57:01 +0400
For an opening hypothesis, it doesn't seem shocking to me
that a stiffer wire (stiffer in the beam-strenth sense)
might send more energy into the sounding length from
tangent contact, and therefore make a clavichord louder.
Especially if there is a board covering the listing.

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:36:17 -0800, Owen J. Daly wrote:

>I haven't a clue. This is purely an empirical observation, and, to be fair,
>especially in the case of the clavichord, that can be skewed by all kinds
>of subjective phenomena.
>Of course before we construct an explanation for these things we'll have
>to: (a) determine if the phenomenon really exists, which means not trusting
>owen's impressions at face value; (b) finding out from the vendors and
>manufacturers accurate information about the chemical as well as physical
>properties of the wire.

Rodney Myrvaagnes        J36 Gjøa     [log in to unmask]
21 years without a car, TV, or website