From:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:31:44 +0000
Hi folks! David Calhoun wrote (of eaten jack springs):

> One has heard
>of the Bristle Pest, a mite which devours just that dietary item,
>which would have ridden along when they came from England.

Came from England?  What makes you think that?  The little nuisances
are endemic here in Virginia, so why should the west coast be any
different?

Oh, yes - they eat quills too!

>Are these things contageous?  Will they nibble their way up the
>scale?  And is there a treatment short of an exterminator?  Can
>I survey my packet of replacements to ensure that they're not
>infested?

They are like eighteenth century mice: they self-generate: mice in
old clothes in closets, and these little beasts in harpsichords!!
(Oh, yes - goose barnacles turned into geese as well back then!!!)
Interesting thought processes.

Over the years I have heard them described variously as moth larvae -
 the kind that eat the woollen cloth in dampers and keybed cloth, and
carpet beetles though I am not clear whether these are the same or
are  interchangeable!!!!

One last point: wire and nylon springs don't get eaten, neither do
Celcon/Delrin plectra. But of course they're not authentick are they?

Not much help I fear!

Peter Redstone,
Harpsichord and Spinet Maker,
http://www.redstoneharpsichords.com