From:
Anne Beetem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:06:45 -0500

>Aprops the discussion of ornaments in the Fitzwilliam repertoire, I seem to
>remember reading somewhere that either the single slash or the double
>indicates a slide from a 3rd below the written note.

It can,  but it depends upon context.

Interpretation of the stroke or double stroke I believe also depends upon
context as to whether to begin on the principal or the auxiliary.   In my
readings through the virginal repertoire,  I find it impossible to assign a
single interpretation to the single and double stroke.

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2577 Trapp Ave.
Coconut Grove,  FL  33133