From:
Bob Heath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 07:21:24 EST
In a message dated 11/11/98 5:20:21 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Let's not get hung up over transposition just because traditional damping
 technology makes it awkward.  It only takes a few minutes to "stand all the
 jacks up" on their lower guides, transpose, and lower the jacks.  In the case
 at hand, there would hav been 50 minutes to spare.

 And in my experience, the NEED to transpose arises infrequently.  >>

Bless you Phil. I think I understand the builders' objections to transposers,
but they're awefully handy for those of us who regularly play with both modern
and period instruments. Making the shift with care should cause no damage nor
should it knock the hpsd out of adjustment.

Perhaps I missed something. Why should a transposing keyboard affect the
dampers, when the dampers never change their position with relation to the
string? Is it the change of the jacks in relation to the keys that causes the
problem?

Bob Heath