From:
SCN User <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 14:23:00 -0800
Hello - I think this translates to mean that the modern player
has only his fine Dowd after Blanchet, but if he had had a
proper Pleyel, he'd have used it...   ?

All of which reminds me that I had completely forgotten a call
from Dr. Carole Terry of the University of Washington. A few years
ago as part of the struggle for tenure she made a disc for CRI
of solo pieces by Rorem, Persichetti, Albright, and ?Carter?
Called _Something Else to Do,_ (title from Persichetti, I believe)
it was made on two historic -type big doubles. [Carole had come
to hate the music by the time, tenure achieved, the recording was
released. I just happen to know where you could get a copy - or
a hundred of them - if you're interested.]

So I was surprised ths is summer when Carole called with the notion
of recording the Landowska - commisssioned ensemble works using
a Pleyel for the untimate in autne   thenticity, and wonderwe  ing where
the Seattle Pleyel collection left behind by Bostiw  wick _et al_ had
gone.

If there is overwhelming enthusiasm for this project, I'd be
happy to relay the word to her - or orders for the old black
disc.

David Calhoun, Seattle