From:
Don Simons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:55:16 -0800
Rebecca Pechefsky wrote:
> ...it illustrates rather vividly the problem that we 20th century > harpsichordists
> face. Well, you might say, you simply have to do a lot of tuning and expect to
> break a few strings here and there.

No one said it specifically, but what you call "tuning" most would
call "inhumane treatment of harpsichords."  I'm pretty sure none of
the anti-transposing forces were suggesting anything like that, but
rather something more like buying (or renting, or borrowing) separate
instruments at the different pitches, since as we all know, working
harpsichordists can all afford as many instruments as they need.

--Don