From:
David Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2018 23:50:06 +0200
A comment was made here earlier, that Facebook allows "real time" interaction.

Of course, we are not all sitting here all the time, replying to
postings as they come in (perish the thought); but if one wants to do
that, it doesnt actually take long to write, send, click on the
authorising email and read the next reply.

But what I find valuable about the organisation of lists like
HPSCHD-L is that, if several hours or even days after a posting one
wants to reply, it can be done. The conversation or debate is
effectively on hold during the period of time in between. A bit like
playing chess by post. And even though one might expect the intensity
of the debate to diminish due to the time lapse between
interventions, it doesnt.

For those of us who lead busy lives (and I am thinking of the
"officially retired" among us), this is an amazing and valuable
feature. The list will move on to a new topic when it is ready; there
is no clock ticking to remind us to reply in a specified time period.

I think the reason for this is that we are a community that listens
to what others have to say here and that replies courteously to
others. This is quite unlike other fora, where I have the impression
that nobody is listening to what others are saying, and none of the
participants here feels the need to pontificate on every subject that comes up.

 From my perspective, there is a lot to be said for not looking at
the Internet through a keyhole, aka a mobile phone, even though I do
find it valuable to do so on occasion. I can only imagine that
writing coherent and elegant messages with two thumbs is rather
difficult, and I do not find it a disadvantage to be able to leave
the house and have some peace and quiet to think and just observe and
interact with the world in "real time" without any possibility of
distractions from the Internet.

David