From:
Joseph Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:56:54 -0400
Peter W. Redstone wrote:

>>See my earlier post. As a person who owned both these classics,
>>I can tell you there is no comparison.
>>
>I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be offensive. But the only
>J-C harpsichord I ever saw (almost 30 years ago) was
>pretty bad, especially the keyboard which was
>positively neanderthal, and the sound which was very
>weak and had no discernable character.

No offense taken, Peter.  And what you say accurately describes his
earliest efforts, of which my Opus 2 was certainly one. But I was really
referring to his production instruments of which he built quite a number.
(Anyone got data?) These were sturdy, serviceable, functional, audible and
cheap. Not beautiful, but they worked.

>Added to that
>I recently saw a Sabathil single that actually worked
>- and didn't sound all that bad!

Well, that's good news. I think the reason that so many are so down on
Sabathil is the perception that the (old) instruments are not only
misinformed, they are a fraud. I hope that a new generation has seen the
light.

Joseph
The Musical Offering
2430 Bancroft Way, Berkeley CA 94704 USA
(510)849-0211 - toll-free 888-BWV-1079
email: [log in to unmask]
Visit the Musical Offering's website at
www.musicaloffering.com, where you'll