From:
Paul Poletti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:51:30 +0200
James wrote:
> When I listened to the sound files that PP sent,
> inharmonicity at the levels he included was very clearly audible.

yes. It is clearly audible. The question is, can you hear a difference
between the 0.03 and the 0.04, which are already pretty extreme shifts
compared to what you'd get by say, stringing a couple semitones under
critical stress.

Be careful not to confuse it with the sample with the highest level,
which is the bottom of a fortepiano, with big thick nasty cables for strings.

> I just looked at my spectral analysis software and it appears that it has
> the capability of generating several simultaneous tones, which I plan to
> check out later. I don't remember now whether that was an option that I
> didn't buy....

You will need much more than "several" tones. You need the ability to
mix tones with at least 32 harmonics, all at subtly shifted frequencies.
There's lots of freeware and shareware for the mac that can do that.
Don't know how the PC scene is, and it depends on your sound card.

PP