From:
Borys Medicky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 07:19:45 PST
>I wasn't referring to those pianists who like the sound of Chopin that
the
Steinway wants to produce, or are ignorant - for whatever reason - of
historical pianos.  I was referring to those who know what sound they
want,
are aware of the available tools, yet refuse to use the tool best suited
for
producing that sound.  Let me try an analogy with building (though I'm
out
of my element here).  Suppose you came across someone who did not glue
up a
case with clamps.  Instead, he used a procedure which required a great
deal
of extra work and didn't get the parts *quite* lined up right (although
close enough that the resulting instrument worked).  (You've undoubtedly
seen better examples of the kind of thing I've described so far.)
Here's
the kicker: he knows about clamps!  Yet he insists on using the
difficult
procedure, taking great pride in his virtuosity with it, and thinks that
it
shows what a great woodworker he is.<

Gordon, if I understand you correctly, you're saying there is nothing
admirable about conquering musical difficulties that were never there in
the first place, and could have been avoided outright by choosing a
different (better?) instrument.

Right?

Borys M.