From:
Hendrik Broekman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:12:35 -0500
Peter wrote:

>That's a pretty elitist attitude!  etc.

Right on, Peter!  I agree wholeheartedly.  We make 'em so people will play
'em - not be stymied by setting the temperament which, I seem to remember
dimly, was pretty difficult when I first encountered the need to do so.

Eric's point about giving up the crutch earlier rather than later is well
taken, but not applicable in all situations.  I am acquainted with one very
good violinist (an HTM in Judy's parlance?) whose ownership of a
harpsichord is chiefly meant to keep rehearsals within the home.  The Viol
Lab seems to be of inestimable value in this case since the harpsichord
gets tuned for rehearsals (thus saving time when the harpsichord player -
that's me! - arrives) but seldom in between.  Please don't doubt that we're
talking about someone who, if the need were absolute, could learn to set a
temperament but who, having no pretensions as a keyboard player, doesn't
feel the need to.

Best,

Hendrik