From:
Stephen Birkett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:00:37 EDT
Michael complained:
> That is the reason why I post so little.  I only know that when I fit
> a new string, it takes a little time to STABILISE.

I don't follow, Michael? I wasn't quibbling with your terminology (which
is certainly not uncommon in the context of new strings), or being
pedantic - in fact I wasn't being critical at all, merely interested in
opening up a little exploration of the phenomena involved with newly
strung strings in a little more depth. To do that requires a more careful
definition terms used to describe different effects, and what
they imply colloquially.

Don't be touchy...

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228