From:
Daniel Pyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 22:52:19 -0500
This is my first foray onto the Hpschd-L (although some may recognize me from
Piporg-L)-but I just could not resist.

My favorite WTC recordings include Leonhardt's on Harmonia Mundi (although I
find some of the over-dotting [e.g. Bk I D major, Bk II G minor] troubling:
he pulls it off, but I would not choose to play it that way), and Kenneth
Gilbert's on DGG. Gilbert's playing is very good indeed, but what bowls me
over is the instrument and the tuning: the a' @ 392 Hz is almost too yummy
for words.

I have heard Bob van Asperen's only once (mentioned by Tony Godzieba), but I
would love to get to know it better.

As a side-track, how could we get Deutsche Harmonia Mundi to re-release on CD
the recordings by Leonhardt of Froberger (the old one on the 1648
Ruckers--surely one of the MOST beautiful recordings ever of a harpsichord),
of Louis Couperin & D'Anglebert, and of the three Bach violin-partitas. I
have worn my LP's to the metaphorical bone; and in spite of all new discs
appearing, these have not been superceded in any way!!

Daniel Pyle