From:
Norm Purdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2018 09:40:10 -0700
As it turns out, I'm in the middle of doing a full blown soundboard
painting for a rebuild of a Zuckermann large Flemish single.  This
instrument is owned by the local chapter of the American Guild of
Organists and had been ignored and neglected - huge soundboard crack,
ugly paint job, etc.  I've extended the case for a second keyboard and
plan to install wooden jacks (mine of course) and leathered registers.
So I thought while I'm at it, I've always wanted to do a full,
outrageous Flemish decoration.  After stripping the paint the marbling
went surprisingly well - thanks to the MacTaggart instruction booklet,
and hopefully their booklet on papering will prove equally valuable.

Now I'm about two thirds through the soundboard work.  From Zuckermann I
got their kit "Soundboard Painting in a Flemish Style" and so far I've
got to say it has been going very well.  The instructions are very
detailed and complete, and a separate booklet contains page after page
of templates of flowers, birds, and arabesques.  The image templates are
transfered to the soundboard with carbon paper, and then the job becomes
a gigantic paint-by-numbers project.  I hadn't done any art type
painting since elementary school, so it's slow going while I learn how
to yield a brush and control the paint.  The results are nowhere near
that achieved by skilled artists, but better than I had expected.  And
the Ruckers painting is less meticulous than 18 century French, I've
been told, so maybe it will do!

Anyway, as I was tediously painting the 20th cobalt blue arabesque
design, I thought if I ever had the courage to get a tattoo, an
arabesque from a Flemish soundboard would be a great choice.  But I'm
too chicken to ever do this - and I'm also averse to pain.  I'll leave
it to speculation as to the location .... suggestions?

Norm Purdy