From:
Paul Poletti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:20:43 +0200
Heikki Levanto wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 10:00:27PM +0100, Peter Bavington wrote:
> > An aspiring player actually needs a good harpsichord even more than an
> > established one. It is obviously hard for such a player of limited means to
> > get his hands on one.
>
> May I, as an amateur owner, and not even a beginner player, humbly ask the
> learned builders and teachers on this list to speculate what corners could
> be cut to arrive at a low-cost instrument suitable for beginners.

No finishing of any kind. Just raw wood.

This would save a considerable amount of time.

Anything else will affect the sound/function of the instrument.

But this will never happen, because eventually the owner goes down to
Handy Man and buys a cheap brush more suitable for scrubbing the floor
and a can of some modern concoction they call "paint" and sees to it
himself. Then soon the story starts going around, "Man , did you see
that harpsi made by Bob Bingos-bops? Looks like it was painted with a mop!"

PP