From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:27:16 +0400
I haven't gone mushroom hunting myself, but two of the farmers that come to the Union Square Greenmarket do, and I have eaten some truly fabulous. The best boletes in my experience have been cepes (B. edulis)and something called Slippery Jack.

The scariest looking and perhaps most fabulous eating were edible amanitas. I really have to trust the guy, but no ill effects from two times eating them raw.

Chanterelles, morels, hen-of-the-woods, and black trumpets also grow in NY state, and come in to Union Square as well. occasionally we see giant puffballs.

> There are smaller, whiter lepiotas with some traits that are
> distressingly similar to some of the locally-available thoroughly
> deadly amanitas. Not to mention, of course, the bad lepiotas
> themselves to which Tom refers. But in these parts there's a deadly
> amanita that is pure white, and, in fact, that little ring sliding up
> and down the shaft is the very trait that in general sends me running
> for my life. All the deadly amanitas are characterized by that.
>
> Nowadays, in my taxonomical haze, we confine ourselves to easy
> no-brainers like chanterelles. And, besides, they're fabulous.
>
> I think that bad boletes mostly just make you REALLY sick. Which is
> awful, but a lot better than being dead.

> --
> Owen Daly Early Keyboard Instruments
> 557 Statesman St. NE
> Salem, OR 97301
> 503-362-9396
> http://www.dalyharpsichords.com

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Please send emails to
rodneym (AT) alumni (DOT) tufts (DOT) edu
with obvious corrections.