From:
Sandra Mangsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2018 07:40:35 -0400
Dear David, Mimi, Carol et al:

I have actually enjoyed of late performing some Bach on the piano — the only instrument available at my local Unitarian Fe[lowship where I volunteer on occasion.  Some pieces work better than others.  Moreover I retract my earlier view that French clavecin music cannot be transferred to the piano.  nonsense, I now think.  Just pick your pieces carefully.  I once heard some Buxtehude on the accordion: those nasty pedal parts were wondrous played on the bass buttons.

My very favorite Malcolm Bilson moment was his response to a student’s question at a master class somewhere: when asked if we should be playing Haydn on the clavichord, MB opined, you can play it on a kazoo.  The point is to get the music right — to learn to READ the music in the spirit of its time.

I am unlikely to seek out the newest Goldberg recording on the Steinway, except to study the very idea of transformation.  And, having removed myself from the university lab, I no longer have immediate access to the most appropriate instrument every day, despite the five keyboards in my house. How far would you like to go, David Pickett, in restricting Bach:  particular type of harpsichord, pitch, temperament, acoustic environment…?  I’m afraid the choir you thought you were preaching to now speaks in a wide range of voices.  Arguing for a single approach gets a bit silly, I fear.  And the music in its nearly infinite variety goes missing.

Sandra Mangsen
North Bennington, VT