From:
Nicholas Bunning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:03:49 -0400
But before we get to carried away on the Italians, remember the courts in
which Scarlatti worked did have French harpsichords and ENGLISH ones (and no
doubt a Ruckers or two).  So it is likely that Scarlatti used all types. In
fact there is a contemporary painting showing the princess (Scarlatti's
Portuguese pupil) seated at a French harpsichord, so I'm sure the teacher
played them from time to time!

Also remember that Scarlatti was VERY popular in England, and Avison adapted
them into Concerti Grossi.  Rousset's performances on the Antunes
(Portuguese) and Kirckman instruments are very telling!

Nick