From:
Nick Dantoni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:48:36 -0800
I'm presently attempting to put together a short "bibliography" of 17th
and 18th century keyboard pieces written primarily for the harpsichord
and/or clavichord.  My intended audience is music students at various
stages of technical development who have an interest in early music
performance.  The plan is to assemble a list of 10-15 each: "easy",
"intermediate", and "advanced/difficult", selections that will provide a
reasonable survey of the period while providing ability-appropriate
material to help feed their growing interest.

Since I came to know the keyboard literature as a student of the piano
and am a relative newcomer to the "lore" of early music and the
harpsichord, I thought as ask for help from those with more experience.
I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm using these criteria:
        1-  Is it reasonably available? (In print somewhere?)
    AND
        2-  Does it represent a national school/style or particularly well?
    OR
        3-  Is it a particularly good example of a particular form, or
stage in the development of keyboard music.
    OR
        4-  Does it represent one of the "mainstream" composers of the period?
    OR
        5-  Is it an interesting piece by a relatively obscure composer
one is not likely to otherwise run across?

I'm asking for help in two ways.

First, while I'm busily pouring over manuscripts and the literature in print
looking for likely prospects, I'd be happy for any suggestions about
specific compositions to include.

Second, I'll be trying to track down any anecdotal material about the
context or conditions under which these selections were written.  So, any
stories, myths, tales, interesting legends, (even factual information!)
you may have about a piece you suggest would be helpful.

I hope to be able to use this during the summer '95 semester, and I'll be
happy to share the results.

PLEASE SEND DIRECT E-MAIL TO: <[log in to unmask]> since the
PacBell address is only temporary.

THANKS!--
Nick D'Antoni ::  [log in to unmask]  ::  [log in to unmask]
  Fine & Performing Arts Div., Rancho Santiago College, 1530 W 17th Street,
       Santa Ana, CA 92706    tel:(714)564-5600    fax:(714)564-6379