From:
David Aeschliman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Aeschliman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 08:35:59 -0800
Here's a little background on the Twelve Days of Xhristmas:

The song was written in English
during the persecution, when the Faith could not openly be practiced.  It
is a catechism lesson.  The twelve days are those from Christmas to
Epiphany.  "My True Love" refers to God the Father.  "Me" is every
baptised soul.  The "Partridge" symbolizes Jesus, for this bird feigns
injury to decoy predators from her helpless young.  2nd day:  the Old and
New Testament; 3rd day:  Faith, Hope, and Charity; 4th day:  the four
Gospels; 5th day:  the first five books of the Bible (Penteteuch), telling
of man's fall from grace; 6th day:  the six days of Creation; 7th day:
the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit; 8th day:  the eight Beatitudes; 9th
day:  the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit; 10th day:  the Ten Commandments;
11th day:  the eleven faithful Apostles; 12th day:  the twelve articles of
the Apostles Creed.

Aesch

---
pacifier.com - Vancouver's Public access Internet (206) 693-0325
telnet or dial the above and type "new" at the prompt to register