Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:21:51 +0000
More about the Ruthin WIllis:

The Organist there sent me this to post:
____
As Organist & Director of Music at The Collegiate Church of S. Peter in Ruthin I feel I can comment better than most people on the state of Henry Willis & Sons Ltd Organ Builders.
This firm has just (2003) installed the 4 manual mechanical action organ built for The Royal Manchester College of Music in 1898 to the design of Dr James Kendrick Pyne.

This unusual and interesting organ has been restored with new mechanical action to choir,solo and pedal and couplers whilst the mechanical/pneumatic action to the great and solo has been fully restored along with every component in the organ. A superb new console installed replacing the destroyed Wadsworth one and all enclosed in a stunning new case designed by Stephen Bicknell. New pipework ALL VOICED IN HOUSE complements missing ranks or pipes while the new solo 16 Fagotto and 8 Bombarde are stunning and show that the art of voicing is very much alive in the house of Willis who have a stunning young voicer in his early twenties.
The whole scheme was carried out to the highest standards and show that David Wyld has turned this company around.
Olivier Latry opened the organ to a capacity audience in September 2003 and is more than happy to come back on the 3rd September 2004 to give the first anniversary recital and a master class. The fact that well over 100 people turned out last night to hear a superb performance of La Nativite by Messiaen by Hugh Davies speaks volumes in a town of 5000 population on a cold,wet and dark January evening.
_____

Simon here again:
There are some photos of the organ on the Willis' web site:
http://www.willis-organs.com/Ruthin.html
I can vouch for the quality of the organ completely. Anyone who plans to visit north Wales & would like to play the organ can be assured of a warm welcome; Let me know & I'll put you in touch.

S.

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .