From:
Timothy Tikker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 09:59:32 -0700
The most Urtext edition of Liszt is that by Martin Haselboeck for
Universal Edition of Vienna.  It comprises the complete organ works in
nine volumes, plus a tenth volume of critical commentary.

Volume 2 has the P/F on BACH (both original and later versions):  ue 17884.

I find the edition excellent in approach.  However, it has many
typographical errors - perhaps these have been corrected in subsequent
printings...?

Also, look up an article by Michael Saffle, "New Light on Liszt's Prelude
and Fugue on B-A-C-H" in TAO, Nov 1982, pp 44-49.  He was planning an
edition of the work himself, though it seems never to have happened.  He
raises issues which would be interesting to compare with what Haselboeck
says in his critical commentary (I have vols 1-4 of his edition only).

The Martigay [sp?](i.e. the Hungarian) edition of the Liszt works is not a
proper Urtext.

- tjt