From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 23:25:04 -0500
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:55:50 +1000, Andrew Lane wrote:

>Dear Listmembers,
>I am presently reading Audsley's "Art of Organ-Building." I am interested
>to know to what extent his views are considered:
>
>a) controversial
>b) idiosyncratic
>c) out-of-date
>d) still highly worthy of copnsideration

His draftsmanship was excellent. (Architecture training)

His ideas were and are idiosyncratic in the extreme. His
hatred of Hook and Hastings is laughable. He can't bring
himself to mention the name when he condemns the builders
of the Cincinnatti Music Hall organ for putting two
mixtures on the great without a tierce in either.

Read him by all means, but give him no authority.

Nobody now claims the authority he seemed to claim, so you
will find no modern equivalent. Read everybody, but go and
listen for yourself.

Rodney Myrvaagnes   J36 Gjo/a   [log in to unmask]
Associate Editor    Electronic Products Magazine
20 years without a car, a TV, or a web site