Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:39:52 -0500
How many little strips of wood must an organ have for James to
consider it "interesting"?

James might have chosen to champion a less ambiguous exemplar of
tracker organs than the Walt Disney Concert Hall organ. Will his
admiration of it decline when he discovers that it has electric
action for the entire Llamarada (Solo) division? that all the
couplers are electric? that the Llamada (Solo Tuba) stop is voiced on
17" wind pressure? that nearly all of the offset pipes have electric
action? that Rosales built an organ in Seattle whose electric slider
chest windchests don't use a single tracker, and are identical in
every important particular to those in the organ at "Our Lady of
Perpetual Traffic Jams"?

Conceptually (and I don't think I'm insulting either builder by
saying this), the differences between the WDCH organ and the organ at
"Our Lady of Perpetual Traffic Jams" are frankly slight in comparison
to the differences between WDCH and, say, Busch-Reisinger or the
Seattle Flentrop.

Don't misunderstand me: as a person who primarily builds tracker
organs, I share James' interest in them, and am flattered that the
little Dobson he saw on the South Bay crawl apparently met with his
approval. But personally, my first interest is in *good* organs, not
only those that happen to have trackers.

John A. Panning
Lake City, Iowa

P.S. And as the owner at various times of four Toyota cars and
trucks, I think I am as entitled to attend the opening of the
Toyota-donated WDCH organ as anyone.

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .