From:
Carl Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:46:12 -0400
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:02:30 -0500, Cullie Mowers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>    This blurb certainly is a new high in inaccuracy, confusion
>and just plain silliness.
>
>    But what I wonder about is the very large organ, largely
>Möller, which was (used to be?) in the Chapel. Not so many years
>ago then-organist Jim Dale was seeking orchestral reed pipework
>to incorporate in a major expansion/revision, and contacted me
>about a Skinner English Horn I owned at the time. I believe one
>or more CDs of that finished project were produced.
>
>    Can that instrument have given way to a "windless substitute"
>so soon?
>
>    Cullie Mowers

All this reported previously: the Moller has been enhanced by squadron upon
squadron of digital voices controlled from the new console. The old console
is up in the rear gallery according to my information and controls the pipe
portion as before.

The small chapel (Catholic Chapel?) has had a Rodgers which Jim Dale
recorded. I don't know if pipes were ever added though I recall discussions
about this at some point.

The Moller has Hutchings (1912) pipework and also was originally a Whitelegg
masterpiece. There are various tales about the 1980's rebuild. The story I
have is that the pipes came back on much lower pressure, the massive voicing
reduced and Jim Dale had the curator restore the pressures and put in
stronger pouch springs. This did not come to me indirectly but right from
Jim Dale. This was a relatively public comment to several  colleagues. We
met on several occasions (that was one of them) and this was a memorable
story. I heard the instrument live some years after that rebuild and the
tone of the organ is sufficient and quite formidable without any ancillary
voices, an organ with real personality.

I just don't get the post we are discussing, it's too strange. Is it some
form of organist sarcasm perhaps?

Cheers,

Carl Schwartz

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .