From:
Brad Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brad Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:58:54 -0400
Jeff Gaynor wrote:
 >>I was once in a lecture on the WTK (don't remember who was giving it,
darn it), but I do remember the quote from Kirnberger that Bach would
retune his harpsichord very quickly in the course of a performance. This
was taken to mean that Bach probably did not stick with a single
temperament for every piece, but would make small adjustments to get the
best effect. Well-tempered then might have been favored because it
allowed for the least retuning to use the most keys. I thought it was an
arresting idea, actually.<<

[Getting off-topic slightly here toward harpsichords....]

What quote from Kirnberger was that (reference, please)?  Are you sure
this wasn't simply the CPE Bach comment fed to Forkel for the biography,
that JSB could tune his whole harpsichord in under 15 minutes [and not
necessarily ever DURING a performance]?

I would be especially surprised if Kirnberger ever provided anything
like that, on record about Bach, because he (Kirnberger) was mostly into
promoting his own invented "pure" temperament, the one that has the
single note A tempered at 1/2 comma each from D and E, and everything
else at pure 5ths or major 3rds from something else.  That is the one we
now call "Kirnberger 2".  The one that's "Kirnberger 3" (like on Notre
Dame University's new Fritts organ, etc) shows up only in a private
letter Kirnberger wrote, and wasn't published until long after his
death.  "Kirnberger 2" is the biggie for him, and then for a bunch of
German writers repeating one another for the next half century or so.
There is good coverage of this string of documents (Kirnberger and
following encyclopedists/theorists) in Rita Steblin's book:
http://www.amazon.com/History-Characteristics-Early-Centuries-Second/dp/1580460410

As for retuning harpsichords very quickly, in 15 minutes or whatever,
that's not really a coup.  It just says that Bach was well-experienced
at it, and able to hear things carefully enough to work quickly.  I and
lots of other people have developed that same skill of tuning a whole
harpsichord in 9-12 minutes, by ear, by whatever temperament(s) are
appropriate to the music on the docket.  The only constraint that such a
time limit places is that the temperament recipe has to be simple enough
to hear quickly/accurately, and firmly memorized, without a bunch of
time wasted in fussing or fixing elementary errors.

The only occasions it takes me more than 15-20 minutes are those where
I'm working on somebody else's harpsichord that hasn't been *kept* in
tune often enough, across a year, to be able to hold whatever basic
pitch is being put onto it....  In such cases it's better to do one
quick one anyway, then come back half a day later and do it again, and
maybe a third one, until the instrument has adjusted itself to those
tensions.  But again that's not about temperament, merely about stability.

Bradley Lehman
http://www.larips.com

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .