From:
"Ken W. List" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:45:20 -0400
In Posting number 23163, dated 30 Aug 1998 09:50:04
From:         "Arthur G. LaMirande" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Grace and St.Mary's and others:San Francisco

We read:
> Grace Cathedral?  The architecture is impressive.  Also the site.

>The sermon on the day I was there was given, as I recall, by the sub-dean, or
> some Canon or other.  What a bore!  And he droned on for 20 minutes.  (I was
> unable to ascertain any connection between his remarks and the Gospel ---
> which, presumably, is the purpose of a sermon!)  Next day, I saw him going
> into the restaurant at the swank Mark Hopkins Hotel.  So much for self-
> sacrifice.

Wow! Am I mixed up!!  I guess I misunderstood the nature of this LIST - but I
had supposed that it was to do with organ matters.  I find these demeaning
remarks not only to be typical, but entirely off-topic; and surely not of
interest to anyone but their author.  I feel that these opinions as to the
sermonizing and luncheon habits of Epsicopal clergy are as out of place as
they are revealing.

> Maybe they had an off day.  But I was not impressed with the music,
> particularly.  Especially when comparing it to what I'm accustomed
> to hearing at l'Oratoire St. Joseph, Montreal.  No comparison at all.
> Sorry.

Is this "Oratory" a church or something?  Maybe a lecture hall or place of
giving oral exams? Or even a dental college?  Does it have an organ?  Why have
we never heard of this place before?  Do they have an organist?  Imagine
keeping such a 'find' a dark secret!  I for one would love to know what
happens there besides music to which there is no comparison.  It is obviously
a place of such "musique encroyable"  that we should shut down our National
Cathedral and such-like in favour of all moving up to Montreal and basking (or
even Basquing) in the unequalled wonder of this place.  May we assume to see
Mr. LaMirande listed soon amongst the players on some great recital series, or
as the organist for some grand Mass?  Surely if . . . .

Maybe this post was the result of an off day.  But I was not impressed,
particularly.  Especially when comparing it to what I'm accoustomed to reading
from the Steves Roberts and Best, Ms. Ollikala, Mr. Wechsler, Mr. Sybesma and
Mr. Loesch and Ms. Sutton and other real musicians.  No comparison at all.
Not particularly sorry.

Ken W. List (written out in full for easy rebuttal-flame reference)
nastily smirking in
baltimore

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.