From:
Carl B Dodrill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl B Dodrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:28:49 -0800
Some weeks ago, I posted a message concerning the above named book as I
had heard about it through this list, but could not obtain a copy in the
USA through any standard method.  I had responses from a several people on
the list, two of which knew basically how to get the book, and
the rest of whom wanted to know how.  I have now been able to obtain a
copy of the book and have reviewed it.  My comments
below should help other readers to decide if they wish to purchase a copy
and if so, how to do so.

First, and unknown to me, was the basic content of the book.  As the name
"Pipes and Actions" was mentioned on the list in the context of the
Compton cube, I presumed the book would contain considerable technical
information about pipes and organ construction.  There are actually only
actually only 2 or 3 pages on the Compton cube. The full title of the book
reveals its purpose:  "Pipes and Actions:  Some Organ Builders in the
Midlands and Beyond."  The book in fact is a history of well known organ
builders from the south west to the northwest of England.  As such, it is
certainly excellent, with more than 100 pages spent on the firm of John
Compton alone, a detailed description of the work of the reed voicing
master William (Billy) Cyples Jones, and a fairly detailed summary of the
work of a number of British companies including Nicholson of Worcester,
Taylor of Leicester, Roger Yates of Nottingham and Bodmin, and Wilkinson
of Kendal.  There are also briefer summaries of the work of perhaps 15
other British companies.  In all instances, various organs built by each
company are described and stop lists are given.  There are also many black
and white photographs (none in color) of organs, scences in organ
factories, advertisements by the various companies, etc.  There is some
scattered technical information (not what the "Pipes and Actions"
primary title would suggest), and the book is above all else an historical
document.

The book covers the period of about 1845 to 1994 in terms of organ
construction, with the greatest emphasis from about 1890 to 1940.   It has
408 pages, is cloth bound, looks rather hansome, and technically is well
done.  It was privately published and on the title page it is said that
the book was "Published by Laurence Elvin, 10 Almond Ave, Swanpool,
Lincoln."  The ISBN number is 0-9500049-8-7.  The copyright date is 1995
with a first edition of 900 copies.  Unfortunately, the author died soon
after the book was published.

You can obtain the book in one way only, and this is by having a check or
bank draft for 33 British pounds made out to Mrs. I. Elvin (the author's
wife) and sending it to the author's daughter (Mrs. J.L. Hickingbotham, 10
Rushcliffe Road, Grantham, Lincoln, England, NG31 8ED).  The 33 pounds
covers shipping costs to the United States and I presume elsewhere as
well. You will receive confirmation of your order by airmail, and the book
will be shipped by surface mail.  My book was about 3 weeks behind the
confirmation letter.

For the topics which it covers, this book is truly excellent, and I would
strongly recommend it if you have an interest in the topics covered.  I do
not know how many copies are available.  I am given to understand by Mrs.
Hickingbotham that two of Laurence Elvin's previous books are
also available in limited supply.  One is, "Bishop & Sons, Organ Builders"
(for 17 pounds post paid) and the other is "North County Organ Builders"
(for 15 pounds post paid).  I have not seen either of these two books and
am not able to comment on them, although I would certainly be surprised
if they were not well done.

Carl Dodrill, Ph.D.   [log in to unmask]
Phone (206) 731-4230  Fax (206) 731-4409
Regional Epilepsy Center (Box 359745), Harborview Medical Center
325 Ninth Ave, Seattle WA 98104-2499 USA