From:
"Thomas F. Strode" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 12:35:45 -0400
I continually fail to understand why people object to the hymn "Onward,
Christian soldiers" (1864), expressing so eloquently the stance we must, as
Christians, take when confronted with Evil.  This, then is a hymn which
perfectly captures the attitude of the Church Militant (so terribly un-P.C.!)
when engaged in _spiritual_ warfare against the foes of God: Satan and his
legions.  No wonder the Evil One hates it!!

As for the tune, I don't feel it's really _that_ bad, but there is a far
superior one written by Gustav Holst for this hymn: Prince Rupert, which can
be found in "Songs of Praise" (OUP) No. 397.