From:
David Stuhr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 17:49:46 -0400
Dear Pipe Organ List,

This is my first post to the list. I have been lurking for several weeks
and now have a question that I am hoping the members can be of some
assistance in answering. I have an extensive LP collection of E. Power
Biggs recordings, (33 rpm, 7, 10 & 12 in. disks - no 78's). I believe I
have all of the recordings on which he performs with the exception of 2. I
forgot to bring the two recordings I do not have with me with me to the
office today. The question concern finding someone who would be qualified
to place a value on my collection of E. Power Biggs organ music for
insurance purposes. I have been unable to find someone with the proper
credentials to do the work and I am wondering if I should have them listed
on my homeowners policy.

E. Power Biggs was the organist who has left the most lasting impression on
my personal musical taste. I began listening to his recordings as a
teenager on the plains of Nebraska on a "stereo" assembled from the Knight
Audio catalog. In the heart of Reuter country, I fell in love with the
sound of the Flentrop in the Busch-Reisinger Museum playing Bach. To this
day I prefer the sound of a "Classic" North German/Dutch instrument. And my
favorite composer is J. S. Bach. This childhood interest in organ music
listened to on a "fine" hi-fi system remains with me to this day.

As you might guess from my e-mail address, I live in the greater Boston
area. During the Summer I attend the Methuen Memorial Music Hall organ
recitals on Wednesday evenings. Are there other members of the list that
attend these recitals? It would be fun to meet other members of the list
and gain your impressions of the music and the Old Boston Music Hall organ.

If you might have any information that may lead me to qualified appraiser
of used "LP's", I would be most thankful. You may respond to me privately
by addressing your e-mail to:

I hope this is not to far off topic. Thanks.