From:
Mark Koontz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Koontz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:37:11 -0400
Wisdom refrains from passing judgement on temperaments without sufficient
experience with them.  Curiosity asks probing questions to improve one's
understanding where there is limited or no experience.  Knowledge has an
understanding about the uses of temperaments.  Artistry expands Knowledge by
pushing the boundaries.  Then there's our old friend, Arrogance, whose
(often inherited) prejudices vomit across the bandwidth.

A lot of axes are ground in topics like this, and the reactions can start to
outnumber the responses.  Reactions are simply inflammatory, and lack any
level of curiosity; responses are informative, and in some cases may
certainly be provocative.  A productive discussion need not be bland.

I was completely ignorant of temperaments until I joined these lists a few
years back.  The topic is extremely valuable as it affects organ
performance, and now I can often at least recognize when I'm hearing
something in an unequal temperament.

Since I am so completely accustomed to equal temperament, unequal
temperaments arouse interest in my listening.  To me it adds the artistic
element of the "unfamiliar" that Aristotle alludes to in the Poetics.  I
would not yet trust my ability to distinguish between something "unfamiliar"
and something "ugly".

I really appreciate the responders who have enlivened the discussion with
information and encouraged further curiosity.

Mark

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:49:41 +0800, robertelms <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Well that excludes about 99.5% of the organ population from the discussion
>Roy. Is that what you desire? Why not also ban those who do NOT play the
>organ?
>BE.

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .