From:
Charlie Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 00:15:48 -0700
-------

What was it with the introductions of the hymns?  I would have thought
with so many people from so many different "religious" backgrounds in
attendance, a full introduction of the congregational hymns was the
order of the day. Was that "user unfriendly" action taken to save time,
or was it just a result of poor judgment?

-------

As I recollect, Elton John sang for 5 minutes or so confining himself
exclusively to notes in the key of E and restricting his harmonic
content to the chords of the tonic, dominant, and sub-dominant. Would
this be a setting of the TEDIUM?

-------

Mr. John's offering seemed to have been accompanied by a string band
which was not visible. WAs there someone in the wings conducting the BBC
Orchestra, or someone with a "keyboard?"

-------

I had the impression of the sudden intrusion of something entirely
synthetic into the proceedings, not unlike serving Tang at the
reception.

-------

Apart from the fact that this was the first time I had heard the
gentleman sing, it occurs to me that it just MIGHT have been a good idea
to tune the piano!

-------

And, yes, it is unfortunate that the A# string of the Yamaha piano
decided to jerk itself a "tad" loose - probably when jolted by the
movein.

-------

It's entirely possible that the piano Elton John was using may have been
modified for midi thereby enabling it to control a synthesizer sound
source for the strings which, I agree, were slightly off pitch from the
piano.

-------

The front-left leg of the Yamaha grand piano had not been screwed on
exactly straight and leaned inward by 3-16ths of an inch. I was so
distressed by this that I simply could not watch another moment of the
proceedings.

-------

The screws holding up the reading lamp on the lecturn were mismatched,
and the left side of the pulpit had not been polished.

-------

I spotted two gum wrappers on the floor of the choir loft. (Are they
allowing the choir-boys to chew gum in church nowadays?  Why, in my day,
that would have been grounds for a hearty flogging by the choir master
and a 6-month suspension!)

-------

The pallbearers exhibited incredibly poor taste and lack of decorum in
that they were perspiring as they carried the casket. One of them had
the audacious lack of taste to actually grunt; and several others were
frowning.

-------

The ground tone of the Tenor bell is .234-cents flat.

-------

Were the clappers of the half-muffled bells covered with real leather?
The tone quality indicated to me that Perflex was used instead.

-------

The soprano who sang the Verdi was wearing too much lipstick, which
demonstrably impacted her intonation.

-------

Since St. Francis of Assisi was Catholic, was it not improper for his
"Prayer" to be sung in a Protestant worship service? And why did they
have to use such a schmaltzy setting of it? Didn't the planners
understand that this is a dignified and religious service? How could
such maudlin clap-trap have been permitted?

-------

The Right Honorable Tony Blair, MP, Prime Minister, faltered three times
during his scriptural reading. And he mispronounced the word
"profiteth."

-------

The prayer of Most Rev. and Right Honorable Dr. George Carey, Lord
Archbishop of Canterbury, Primate of All England and Metropolitan, was
too long-winded and repetitive. Couldn't they have cut it short and had
another organ solo, instead?

-------

Prince Charles' pant-legs were 1/8" too short; when he knelt to pray the
pale meat above his stocking-tops was showing.

-------

Was it really in good taste for First Lady Hilary Rodham Clinton to be
in attendance since she is Methodist?

-------

Why didn't they let us know the stop-registrations for each of the organ
pieces? At the very least, they could have given a brief history of the
organ and listed the specification. They didn't even announce the names
of the organists, or discuss their foot-pedal apparel. Don't they know
these things are important to some people?

-------

Wasn't the organist playing just a little too rushed during the
Pachelbel Canon? And were those --Celestes-- I heard during the "Ich
ruf' zu dir" ??!

-------

I believe I detected three mistakes during the BWV 546; there may have
been [probably were] more, but it was hard to hear the organ with all
that sniffling, crying and the moans of grief. Couldn't someone have
kept the congregation quiet so we could better hear the organ?

-------