From:
Roger Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:14:51 +0100
In an earlier message Timothy Tikker and Julia Harlow said:

> Briefly, the mayor delivered an opening announcement, the called forth
> "let the organ play!"  This was met by dead silence.  The call went forth
> again, met with the same response.  Someone went and found Best and the
> foot of the stairs to the organ loft, and told him "you heard the Lord
> Mayor!  He said 'let the organ play!'" - to which Best replied "let it!"
> The messenger went back to explain the situation, whereupon the Mayor was
> eventually persuaded to announce "...and now, Mr. William Best will play
> the organ!"

This can't be quite true, as there is no organ loft in St George's Hall.
The organ stands on a platform at one end of the hall, so that the organist
is in full view at the console.  The platform is raised on pillars about
10-12 feet above the floor of the hall, and underneath is a doorway to
another part of the building.  At each side of the platform is a staircase,
so if Best was indeed at the foot of the stairs, this episode must have
happened in sight (and earshot?) of most of the audience!

This is not the typical "town hall" layout -- usually the organ is in the
centre of the platform, with terraced seating at both sides to accomodate
the huge choral societies which sprung up in the Victorian era.  In St
George's Hall there are terraced steps at the opposite end of the hall,
but these lead up to the old Crown Court (now equipped with carboard
cutout figures depicting a murder trial).

I've kept forgetting to post this year's recital program, but here is
the remainder:

Saturday 11 November 1995, 7:30pm
French Romantic Organ Music -- Ian Tracey

Tuesday 12 & Monday 18 December 1995, 7:30pm
Saturday 16 December 1995, 11:00am
St George's Family Carols

Monday 8 April 1996 (Easter Monday), 7:30pm
Opening Concert of the 1996 Season -- Ian Tracey

--
Roger

Roger Brooks, Systems Programmer, Computing Services Dept,  |  [log in to unmask]
The University of Liverpool, PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX  | +44 151 794 4441