From:
Paul R Marchesano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 12:26:41 -0400
James Burkholder wrote:

> I apologize if this question is really dumb, but I normally play an
> electronic instrument, but every week or so get the chance to play our
> church's 3m Schantz organ.  After a playing/practice session I turn off the
> blowers, but note that there is still wind pressure in the instrument.  If
> I press a key it sounds.
>
> My question is, is it desirable to "bleed" the air pressure from the
> instrument after turning it off, by pressing some keys,  or is that
> potentially harmful to something in the instrument?  Is it better to just
> turn off the blowers and close it up?   Or, does it matter a whit?
>
> Thanks

There is a minimal amount of pressure which usually dies down very
quickly after shutting off the organ.  It's not a problem at all.  Your
organ has an air switch, hence you still get current after shutting the
thing off.  Experiment with different stops and sounds--its fun!  It
will also be a lesson to you in which stops require more or less wind to
speak.

Cheers
Paul Marchesano
--

Paul R. Marchesano

Chemistry Dept Box 338          4325 Pine St
231 S 34th  St Box 338          Philadelphia PA 19104-3919
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6323     215-386-6866
215 898 9554            FAX:    215-898-8378