From:
Casavant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 23:50:21 -0800
I've played the Skinner here on the campus of ICA, but to be honest, I
wasn't very happy with it.  I can't explain it really, it was just
lacking something, didn't seem to have any presence to it at all.  It's a
quite large 3 man., but even with full principal choruses including
mixtures on each division, all coupled to great, boxes full open, it just
seemed like it was fighting to put the sound out.  Hope that makes some
sense.  As for Schantz.....that opinion is even worse.  I've played the
1989 at Trinity Lutheran here in TC and just plain hated it.  It had the
most obnoxious, screechy mixtures I have ever heard in my life.  The
reeds, pardon my slang, SUCKED, and the whole general tone of the organ
was just very harsh, hard.  None of the warmth that just kind of flows
around you like from the Cas I have lessons on.  To make my experience
worse, I was playing there as part of our local chap memeber's recital.
Of all pieces to be playing on a German Lutheran organ......the Lemmens
Fanfare.  YUCK!!!!!!!!  No nice French reeds to be found, no more need
said!!!

I am very much enjoying all the responses I am getting from you folks,
keep them coming, I'm actually learning a lot.

Ken
Interlochen, MI