.
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 03:15:51 -0700
I notice in listening to various trumpet or oboe ranks, some substantial
differences in sound quality, naturally affected by a whole range of
variables we are all well enough versed on.
The 8 and 16' Moller artiste' trumpet ranks on an organ I have access to
must be the worst sounding rank I have ever heard, "horrid" would be a kind
description! Consequently I never use them.

I was wondering what wind pressure and other differences exist in  the real
oboes and trumpets blown by mouth as opposed to organ trumpets and oboes.
I doubt the human lungs can force more than a couple of inches of WC
pressure at best and remember trying to put pounds pressure into a
combination pressure/vacuum boiler gauge and not being able to raise the
pointer more than about a pound, but suction to maybe 15"

Listening to the organ and trumpet either on the radio, or in the case of a
live rehersal a month ago with John Jantzi at the organ and someone else on
the trumpet, it is a beautiful combination if the trumpet is not
overwhelming in volume, but I find organ trumpets I have heard seem to
seriously lack a lot of the great pure sound , or the nice mellow reedy
quality of a real oboe.

Doesn't the oboe have a wooden reed in the mouth piece? while the trumpet
has a brass one similar to the organ trumpet pipe reed?

About the best reed I have heard yet, and I mean it was so strikingly
different I asked to SEE the regal pipes, was at the Mormon Tabernacle's
assembly hall on the Richard Sipe organ which has an 8' Regal rank. Richard
Elliott demonstrated the rank for me, maybe he can describe them more.
They didn't sound at all harsh or screaming, nor any sort of clanging
metallic, vibrating sound I seem to hear on the Moller Artiste trumpets, it
was soft in tone, mellow, and very reedy yet clear and distinct with enough
volume.

The pipes I saw were probably tin, quite short, and having a resonator that
looked like two "Dixie" cups placed rim to rim with a small hole on the top.
The only other Regal rank like it I have seen yet is at the Univ Of Oregon
on their organ in their music hall (Barbara Baired) that was featured in the
convention recently on the last day.

Is the main difference there in that unusual shaped resonator?
Randall