From:
Nicholas Russotto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicholas Russotto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:56:23 -0400
Hello, fellow listers,

I apologize for the slightly delayed posting this week...we've been
quite busy here at Organs and Organists Online compiling a special
Halloween (All Hallow's Eve) playlist for you all! Do enjoy...

First up we have David M. Lines playing a very good sounding 4 manual
Noehren at St. John's Cathedral in Milwaukee, WI. He plays an
excellent rendition of Bach's D-minor Concerto (after Vivaldi). This
is BWV 596. Also from David this week we have his stunning playing of
Franck's Grand Pièce Symphonique, in three tracks for your
convenience. I was nearly moved to tears when I first heard this
rendition...it's truly that good! Also from David is Camille
Saint-Saëns' "Benediction Nuptiale", which is also an excellent
recording that shows off the wonderful strings on this instrument. The
GPS and Benediction are recorded on a 5 manual AEolian-Skinner here in
the USA.

Also on the program is an extract from Julius Reubke's Sonata on the
94th Psalm. The Fugue from this monstrous sonata is played by Austin
Rep and listmember Devon Hollingsworth on the 4 manual Austin/Allen
organ at the Christ Church of Oak Brook, IL. It shows of some of the
varied tonal colors achievable on this remarkable instrument.

Next up we have young Hallgier Øgaard, who is playing this week Franz
Liszt's "Prelude and Fugue on BACH". Truly a bravura performance on
the new 3m Rieger organ at Bergen Cathedral in Norway.

Then, we have something for you from 'the land down under'! Mark
Quarmby plays Anton Bruckner's Postlude in D minor on the 5 manual
Hill organ in the Sydney Town Hall in Sydney, Australia. It's quite an
amazing performance on this amazing organ. Listen to those reeds!

For you Theatre Organ fans, boy, do we have a treat for you this week!
Tom Hohen LIVE at the Atlanta Fox theatre, on Mighty Mo', the 4 manual
Möller theatre organ there. It's quite a track, and quite an amazing
sound! Maybe I should play like THIS in church! <grin>

In our video section this week, we have Aarnoud de Groen, a fantastic
organist, playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor (BWV 565)...it
wouldn't be Halloween without it! He plays a fantastic sounding 3
manual Vierdag organ in his home church in the Bethlehemkerk, in the
Hague, Netherlands.

Last, but certainly not least, we have a fantastic recording of
Gigout's B-minor Toccata on the 6-year-old 3 manual Van den Heuvel
organ in Katerina Church, Stockholm. David M. Patrick plays this organ
and really gets some very amazing sounds out of it! This one makes it
on my "to scare the neighbors on Halloween" list! Bravo to David for
this excellent performance.

As always, please come and visit us at
<http://www.organsandorganistsonline.com>, and do join up if you
haven't already and browse our extensive mp3 library in the members
section, as well as read through and download some original
compositions by other members! Please consider submitting some
material, too- we're always grateful for new contributors!

Cheers, and until next week,

Nick Russotto
News & Events/ Membership Co-ordinator

--
Nicholas F. Russotto
Somers, Connecticut
Organs and Organists Online
http://www.organsandorganistsonline.com

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .