From:
Richard Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 19:24:07 -0700
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997 23:56:49 -0400 Paul Jacyk <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> Hi Everyone,

> I was wondering if anyone has a list or some ideas on identifying marks > or
characteristics of theatre organ pipes and other parts. For example > wooden
Wurlitzer pipes have the note labels stamped on the underside of > the pipe (?)
or Moller's tibias have black painted stoppers (?).

> I have never seen such a list printed and thought it would be useful
> for identifying pipes in pictures and real life for those of us
> newcomers not nearly well enough travelled through pipe chambers.

Now HERE is a project that would be very worthwhile for an organization,
such as the AIO to take up and disseminate.  After all, none of us could
have possibly encountered every instrument made by everyone.  I think
this should not only apply to pipework, but other aspects of
organbuilding, such as "Kilgen Orange", "AEolian Yellow", or "Moller
windline Blue", just to name a couple that I'm familiar with.

Not all builders work in all regions during their training, but on
occasion, encounter pipework or other materials unlike anything they've
seen before.

Does such a listing possibility sound very useful to others who
encounter  materials in re-cycling, such as myself, or not?

I'd appreciate some input as to the posture of the other list members
who may be builders; privately or to the list, depending on whether this
seems to be of general interest or not.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Faithfully,
                  / ^   ^ \