From:
Jim Swist <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Swist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 11:14:18 EST
Fascinating.  The idea of an inexpensive organ working
by playing recordings of real organs is born as early as the 50's.
This of course has now become the mainstream design principle for electronic
organs.

But I suspect that the main reason these technologies were
invented was that at that time it was prohibitively expensive to use 100%
electronics (I think it takes min 2 vacuum tubes to make an oscillator).