From:
Timothy Tikker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 21:55:23 -0700
On Tue, 18 Oct 1994, Will Wu wrote:

>     5. Taylor  & Boody  use 3'  vice 2-2/3'  for their  Quinte and Nasat
> stops.  I understand  this is the old  nomenclature used in German  (and
> Dutch?)  Baroque organs.  Why?  I always understood that 2-2/3' was more
> correct.  But regardless of why the old masters did it, why does  Taylor
> & Boody do it?  Is it an affectation in their obvious desire to create a
> period instrument?

The 3' for 2-2/3' was used in many countries well into the 19th century,
even in England and France.  Yes, 2-2/3' is more correct.  I think the 3'
label is used because it's easier to say in shop talk, AND it's in the
spirit of the old organs.  Personally, though, I prefer to say 2-2/3'

>     6.                    +------------------+
>                           | BRUSTWERK  (III) |
>                           |                  |
>                           |  8' Gedackt      |
>                           |  3' Hohlquinte   |
>                           |      (Middle C)  |
>                           |  8' Regal        |
>
>     The Brustwerk only has the above three stops.  It seems awful small.
> I'm not sure what  you normally do with  a more normal sized  Brustwerk,
> but whatever it is, can you do it with those three stops?

Well, quite a lot, actually:  the 8' Gedackt alone can do quiet
accompaniment;  plus Hohlquinte can be a solo;  the Regal can be used
alone, or with either or both flues.  Yes, it is minimal, but it would
give just that extra margin of flexibility and variety for certain areas
of the literature.