From:
Deon Irish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 16:25:03 +0200
On  1 Jan 97 at 10:59, John L. Speller wrote:

>We shall expect a full report on Hungarian and Romanian organbuilding
>when you get back!

There's a 1909 Rieger in the Matthias Church on Castle Hill.The
(earlier) casework, a neo-baroque conception designed by Frigyes
Schulek and crowned with an angel having the features of Liszt
Ferenc, was re-employed.

I heard a very fine instrument in the Basilica at Esztergom,
cathedral of the Primate of Hungary. I couldn't find out what it was,
however! (Suspect a Rieger, too). The cathedral is well worth a visit
- at 118 metres long, with a facade 40 metres wides and the tip of
the cupola on the dome reaching 100 metres, it's a massive structure
on the lines of a St Peter's or a St Paul's. And the reverberation
..... Well, given those dimensions and acres of marble cladding, need
I say more?

Cheers
||    Deon Irish
|\    St Michael's