From:
John Seboldt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 1994 18:05:13 -0700
On 10-13-94  [log in to unmask] wrote

 > speaking of werkprinzip

I take it you're talking of the idea that each division should be based on a
successively higher principal pitch basis.

Here's another neo-classic dogma that had only limited basis in historic
instruments.  There are plenty of instruments that didn't adhere to this if the
space was available.  The classic:  the big Schnitger at St. Jakobi, Hamburg --
16' Great Principal basis, two other divisions with 8' Principal basis, and the
Brustwerk based on a "Holzprincipal" 8'.  (This latter might sound more fluty,
I don't know, didn't hear it individually when I was on site, and of course,
the instrument has been restored so I don't know certain details of whether it
was fully original or not.)

Not many Brustwerke had room for an 8' open stop, of course.

: John Seboldt  [log in to unmask] /   I am Bach of Borg...
: Amateur radio K0JD...             /     your style will be
: Church of the Annunciation,      /         assimilated.
: Minneapolis                     /

 -> Alice4Mac 2.3 E QWK Eval:05Mar94