From:
"D. Gene Rider" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:13:02 -0400
Steve,

Get a grip. To put things in proper perspective (for yourself and others)
force yourself to argue the point in favor of the Elton John song.

I, too, studied music/pipe organ/worship courses, and want/prepare/produce
the best to aid the worship activities/services of those I serve. I
prefer/work for/favor/promote the Clarke rather than Mendelssohn.

I respect Elton John very highly, however. Have you ever given any of his
sheet music a glance (or a second glance)? Ever watched him perform vocally
or keyboard/piano?
Ever watched his face as he pours emotion/soul/feeling/pathos into the lyrics
he writes/sings?

First Steve, study, side by side, the two versions of the text of CANDLES IN
THE WIND, which Elton  just re-wrote for the funeral. The new text very
appropriately fits into the context of this unique memorial service for this
unique person in the circumstances of her life and passing. (Like a
commissioned work, if you will).
As a special friend, Mr. John, has given birth for all who love Diana a new
text for a new, unique event.

And, is a funeral/memorial service truly for the Worship of Almighty God? If
so, who said so?  If not, who else MIGHT a funeral/memorial service be "for?"
 Could it possibly be FOR the persons who survive? [For the living, a service
of ]remembrance of things past, things hoped for, that life (as we know it)
might go on . . . ]

I - for one - have been profounded moved by several of Elton John's pieces of
music. The song of his which speaks of "butterflies are free, free to fly
away . . . " brought enormous comfort to me when my paternal grandmother died
in 1979. I didn't seek such an experience from Elton John or his music. It
just happened one day when I least expected it. As I was in the midst of
doing something unrelated to grandma's death or Elton's song, the words of
his song broke (gently) through whatever I was doing and spoke to my heart -
as nothing else had up to that time - and the rest is history. (No, I haven't
collected all his albums or sheet music. No, I don't play his music in
weddings, funerals, services, but yes, I DO take the time to listen to the
lyrics of his songs when I find that a station is playing one of them or when
I catch a glimpse of him on a tv appearance.)

Give it a chance. You'll be a receiver of "glimpses of truth."

Dale Rider
K. C., MO