From:
Nelson Denton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Denton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:55:56 -0400
>>What circumstances have any of you seen that have done the most damage to
>>pedalboards ?

Two words:

Pencils
Paperclips

Both are the number one problems I've come across.  I'm always amazed at
just how fast those darn things procreate just from eating ordinary dust
bunnies. The darn things manage to make roadkill out of themselves by
flinging themselves under the contacts and wedging  themselves between keys.

Consoles in pits are more likely to suffer from worn pedalboards. The act of
stepping down  onto the pedalbaord from the raised floor puts a lot of
lateral strain on the keys. I very rarely ever find damage done by simply
standing on the pedalboard. Usually its the sideways shove with the feet on
and off the bench that does damage. If you must stand on the pedals spread
your weight around by turning both feet sideways on many keys.  Avoid the
sudden drop down of your entire weight on a key. That's when things take a
real beating.

I personally hate Mollers with that very heavy panel, swell shoes and toe
studs all resting on the pedalboard linked with a short cable in such a way
that you can't get it out or move the pedalboard when they are in a pit.

Cracked back rails are also a common problem. Most pedalboards are made with
flat springs at the back of the keys.  These are under a lot of stress and
the screws often pull loose or the solid wood rail splits with dryness and
stress.  Front sprung pedalboards suffer from wear at the pivot points at
the rear.

Both can be avoided by using good wood and carefull design and respectful
use.

One funny case I had years ago.
The organist called to say "A key was stuck on the Pedals"  and also could
we bring a replacement key for the roll top lock as the spare one was
missing.

We groaned as this was an old organ with lots of problems and we imagined
the worst as usual. . .

Of course when we arrived with every tool and spare part imaginable I took
one look and burst out in hysterical laughter.

The spare console key had fallen out of it's secret hiding place in the
bench and had landed between the pedal keys just under the bench heel rest.

All three pieces had come together to jamb up the works. A simple repair!!!
However we spent the rest of the day retuning the organ after "Helpfull
Harry" from the choir  had pulled out every pipe that had ciphered as a
result of the stuck key and "detuned the rest".   :-((((

Nelson

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .