From:
Carl Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:35:24 EDT
I must object. The notion that one can have "pipe organ sound" for the price
of a used electronic organ is absurd as has been suggested by others.   It
defies simple logical argument. The only way to have pipe organ sound is to have
a pipe organ.   The question might have been put differently to the effect of
" what is the best used electronic or low cost digital option".

It is not snobbery to be able to tell the difference - discriminate - between
the sound of an electronic imitation and a pipe organ, nor to recognize that
a well made pipe organ is not the equivalent of an electronic organ.   This is
neither a judgement against electronic organs nor the folks who play them . I
have played them since I first laid hands on a keyboard: Lowrey, Hammond ,
Allen, Rodgers, you name it.

I belong to that reactionary crowd also who prefer the sound of analog
electonics in spite of their limitations. I have yet to hear a digital instrument
that was not as wearying as this endless argument.

If one has a limited budget one must make compromises - but to imply that
somehow it's just as good as the real thing is a form of negative elitism -
"levelling" I think is the term, that is not constructive.

That said, when faced with making music on whatever is before us, or whatever
muscial hand of cards is dealt we should do our very best to make music and
not whine and criticise nor in any way put down those who must work with less
than ideal circumstances and resources.   Electonic organs have a place which
can be viewed in two aspects - as a cheap competitor for the pipe organ or as
an alternative to the absence of an organ.

Cheers,

Carl Schwartz

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .