From:
Eric Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:20:23 -0800
Hello once again!  I too have the most wonderful memories of the Hereford Cathedral organ -from many Three Choirs' Festival occasions and of course from daily choral services under Roy Massey's direction and also under that of his predecessor Melville Cook. Also the "Three Choirs' " of 1957 (Sumsion, Cook and Douglas [not George!] Guest at the time) when Melville Cook's predecessor Sir Percy Hull, cathedral organist at Hereford from 1918-1949 and later "Emeritus", gave a stunning performance conducting the Enigma Variations.   Boris Ord took me, with the two senior choristers from King's, and it was a week never to be forgotten.  Incidentally, who in America (or in UK or anywhere else for that matter) has unwanted copies vocal scores of larger choral works sung at the Three Choirs from its earliest years up to the present (excluding the very familiar - e.g. Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Verdi, Elgar, VW, Howells and Walton of course)? One of my present "projects" is to
 build up a "history" of each year's performances, choral and orchestral.  I have already unearthed some wonderful Bairstow, Parry (Job of course!*), Stanford, William Harris, Benjamin Dale, Anthony Milner and Dyson. There;s much more hiding away in archive and organists' attics, gathering untimely dust! Do please send me a private EM if you have any info.

Oh,  I still have some mint condition (never been played) LP recordings of the Hereford cathedral organ (and other UK cathedral organs and cathedral choirs too) if anyone is interested in pursuing the English cathedral legend, in organs, or organ  and/or choral literaturemany as they are!!  Lest we forget... maybe.we have already forgotten or just not  known?....Do be in touch if you have any insight to contribute

Eric Fletcher
www.worldwidemusiconline.com for those who have not yet discovered these treasures!

*remember what George Bernard Shaw had to say about that one?!!!