From:
Buddy Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Buddy Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:32:39 -0500
I was part of the original group that removed the organ from the local
church that was given the organ in the 60's. The church was building a new
sanctuary with a new organ and had no desire to keep this one. We got the
organ out just as the construction workers had put the chimes in the trash
and had started running heating ducts in the chamber. The Penn home is part
of the university system and the land is used for agricultural research. It
was given to the state with a bank account that would of kept the place
going. However the politicians got hold of the money and ran it into the
ground. We had just moved the organ into storage at that time. It closed for
a few years and then opened again. We were given the instructions to spend
all the money on the installation we could at this time because the local
administrator did not think the funds would remain available. At this time a
local man presented himself to the board as someone who knew nothing about
organs but should administer the project. His own background was in
rebuilding player pianos. His ideas ran in contrast to what we were trying
to do in the way of restoring the instrument. We felt that his influence
would endanger the success of the project. As we were volunteering our
efforts we felt it best to pull out rather than have our names associated
with an installation that was going to have a poor reputation. I would guess
this man is lurking about trying to get his hands on the organ if he has not
removed it already.
Buddy Boyd
Piedmont Theatre Organ Soc.
http://www.lostprovince.com/PTOS/

All files scanned with NORTON ANTIVIRUS
prior to sending.

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .