From:
Lee Ridgway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 11:05:14 LCL
My interest in Italian organs comes from having been in master classes
taught by your fellow Bolognese [is that the right word?], Luigi
Tagliavini, back in the 1970s. More recently, I was fortunate to take
part in two study courses with Tagliavini and Umberto Pineschi, in
Pistoia. Of course, those two courses included visits to many old
Italian organs, including the wonderful examples in the cathedral in
Bologna.

In the United States, the Italian style of building has not caught on,
although it would be ideal for installations in small churches and
chapels. We have a few antique Italian organs scattered in collections
across the country, and possibly a few Italian-style new instruments
in a couple of colleges. I find it interesting that the Italian organ
is popular in Japan. Of course, that has to do with a couple of
Japanese builders who have worked with Pineschi.